Many of you realize this is a big week in San Francisco as over 21,000 people descend on Moscone Center for VMWorld 2012. If you want to take a little of your day to immerse yourself, here is a link to two live video streams from the show(http://bit.ly/PVr6U7).
The show is all to do about technical advancements and staging to continue the march towards a total virtualized IT Landscape. The prime announcement from VMware yesterday was the release of vCloud Suite 5.1. vCloud Suite release is not just a bump in version number, but a consolidation of functionality between cloud management and the virtualization; and a healthy step towards the software driven data center. You can just see some of the new acquisitions fitting into the roadmap. Here’s an article on the topic( http://bit.ly/NzPPte)
VMWorld is an interesting show, when it comes to virtualization there really has been no notable competition to date from the field. So when you go to VMWorld, everyone is there. It’s a true conglomeration of the industry. There are always a few shinning stars at the show that seem to get the most attention. I thought in 2011 EMC showed well and had a powerful and humorous presence (vodgeball, come on what’s more fun than that?). However, EMC is poised to shadow its former glory with its current self.
EMC at VMWorld 2012 will be the vendor to beat for overall presence and frankly substantive innovation featured at the show. Tuesday, 2nd day of the show will see a barrage of announcements, some of which I highlight below. Keep your ear out, walk the floor, watch the videos and find the passion to abstract some apps from their physical chains in 2012-13.
THING TO LISTEN FOR:
Wikibon Survey says customers single out EMC as #1 in VMware attach storage by 3x the competition: (http://on.mktw.net/QJqMUP)
- Late last week Wikibon published their annual survey and EMC was named “Best Storage Across All Categories for VMware vSphere Environment”. This 2nd year running.
VMware and EMC announce VDP release with embedded Avamar
- EMC Avamar Technology Selected for New VMware vSphere Data Protection
- EMC and VMware Integrate World-Class Backup and Recovery Capabilities Into VMware vSphere
- Product co-developed between VMW and Avamar teams similar to work done with Legato in the past
- VDP is an advanced, enterprise-proven deduplication backup solution that SMBs and departmental users can manage from the new vSphere Web Client.
- With Avamar technology tightly integrated into the VMware platform, users benefit from industry-leading deduplication, full support for Changed Block Tracking for both backup and recovery, and flexible self-service restores.
- VDP establishes a foundation within vSphere from which to launch additional backup and recovery capabilities over time, so that VMware data protection can scale to meet future customer requirements.
EMC VFCache 1.5 First to Deduplicate Server Flash Cache(http://on.mktw.net/QOjPSs)
- Drives New Levels of Efficiency with Deduplication
- Interoperable with VMware vSphere vMotion; Builds Foundation for Integration with EMC VMAX productline
- Solution delivers in-line deduplication of cached data—an industry first.
- Significant VFCache hardware and software updates improve performance and capacity, including support for Cisco UCS Blade Servers
- Look for an upcoming in-depth video on Sam Marraccini’s Blog ( http://www.insideflash.com)
SRM Suite EMC Delivers Comprehensive Management Suite for Application-to-Storage Service Level Management
- New EMC Storage Resource Management (SRM) Suite ( http://yhoo.it/OmSmct )delivers a comprehensive application-to-storage analysis, breaking down IT department silos for common insight into service level management, priorities and tasks.
- The SRM Suite combines EMC ProSphere, EMC Storage Configuration Advisor, and recently acquired EMC Watch4net into a single package
- Works with all EMC storage and third party storage arrays for both file and block.
Storage Analytics Suite
- EMC and VMware Unveil Early Access Program for New EMC VNX Storage Analytics Suite
- Customers Can Preview Joint Analytics Solution Prior to General Availability
- Helps proactively identify bottlenecks, balance workloads and ID root cause to problems.
- ID and troubleshoot performance problems and remediate
- Simplify storage operations management (great visualizations)
- Proactively optimize storage performance across physical and virtual environments
- Improve collaboration through holistic management across the enterprise
Cisco and EMC Accelerate IT Transformation with VSPEX and Vblock Systems
- Two new Cisco Validated Design (CVD) unified computing reference architectures, along with aligned channel partner incentives and customer support to simplify and accelerate VSPEX adoption
- The CVDs published are Cisco Solutions for EMC VSPEX for Microsoft Hyper-V Architectures and Cisco Solutions for EMC VSPEX for VMware vSphere 5.0 Architectures.
EVENTS TO CATCH:
WIRED Mag Hosts CEOs on Innovation (Monday, 8/ 27 Gateway Ballroom 103/104 )
- Wired Magazines’ Editor-in-Chief Chris Anderson will emcee a panel of noteworthy CEOs on the “The Innovation Paradox”
- Joe Tucci will be featured along with Paul Martiz, Pat Gelsinger, Michael Dell, Tom Georgens
- The event is open to all VMworld attendees through standard registration and will take place at Moscone Center South, Gateway Ballroom 103/104. This Spotlight session will also be webcast live
Super Session (Tuesday, 8/28 at 2:00p) Jeremy Burton, EVP & protector of the EMC Brand, will deliver a Super Session presentation and ‘Live’ demonstrations
- Highlighting EMC’s shared vision with VMware to Transform IT, Business, Cloud computing and yourself